Sunday, May 17, 2020

Quarantined Madness

I am in lock-down. Not because I am sick, but because of some viral nastiness coming from China and spreading to the rest of the world. I guess it doesn't matter where it started, but it has created a bit of a mess for the world. For me, it meant that the studio went it "Remote-Mode" meaning that for the past 10-weeks everyone has been working from home. What is amazing is that the studio has been set up to do this for years, and the fact that we have a seamless work flow from our main studio in Hamilton and our sister studios in Colombia and Chile is pretty amazing. We haven't skipped a beat on the ramp up into our new production. We have been moving full steam ahead.

That being said, I am looking forward to getting back to a tiny bit of normality. It's a long weekend holiday here in Canada so I thought I'd purge pages from my sketch boards. Enjoy.

I have a lot of sketch boards going at the same time. They are my custom made boards for legal paper (8.5" x 14") I have one board at work, a couple in my home office and one on my portable drawing table in front of my TV. I often create a doodle cover page for these different books using my colour ball point pens. Here are a couple from two of my boards.
I don't usually post work stuff because it's usually not kosher to sneak stuff that is works in progress, but these are pretty generic example of some things I have been lending a pencil on and they don't give away much about the projects. The thumbnails are from "Sunny Day", which is totally wrapped , and the others are random one offs from different projects.
While 95% of my drawings on this blog are done in ball point, these 4 below were PhotoShop.
Pens. Pens. Pens. Since high school, more than 40 years ago, I loved using the Paper-Mate stick pen. It had a nice flow and a really dense black, but lately I have been finding the pens a bit disappointing. The flow for theses pens is hit and miss, but mostly a miss so I switched to using pens with Cross refills. The black isn't as nice, but the flow is smooth with no balling of the ink to cause blotches. Most of what follows was done with these pens.
A bit of "Little Me" doodling.
We had a bit of a fun sketch challenge at work. Draw a typical day for you while in lock down. One is new, the other is recycled from an old post in 2012, but now it's in colour ... sort of. These two are PhotoShop.
A bit more "Grumble and WAA".
A bit more "Elliptical World of Snurd". The first two were redrawn from notebook sketches I found by accident. I have to really figure out if I want the arms and legs like these drawing or the more stubby ones from more recent posts. Decisions, decisions ...
There's lots more in the hopper, but I've run of time. Until the next post ... be safe.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home