Monday, September 30, 2019

PORTABLE DRAWING TABLE

It HAS been a long time since my last post. I guess that's what happens when work consumes your life, but things are starting to wind down on the production I am Directing so I have a bit of time to catch up here.

I also finally got to build a portable drawing table that I have been wanting to make for a long time. In fact, last fall I bought a small table saw for the express purpose of building this thing and it wasn't until the end of June that I started to get the materials and build this thing in some spare time ... a few hours here and there when I could get it. It's done, and here are some pics of the final product.

This is it folded with all the support rods tucked in. The top is an 18" x 30" door from the 'scratch and dent' area at my local IKEA, and I covered it with a sheet of Bristol-board to protect the surface. The wood for the frame is all poplar.
 Support legs extended.
 The table arm lifted.
 The top tilted.
 I added a small power bar from the local dollar store. It cost about $1.50.
This is the basic workings. The bars are old IKEA "X" braces for shelves. They had the ends already stamped and the holes in them for the pivots I need. The table pivots and brace pivots I had to make from "T" and "L" cabinet braces. The clamps are 1/2" thick bolts with 1/4' holes drilled through for the bars. The bars are clamped in place by big butterfly bolts, which were probably the most expensive piece of hardware at close to $6 each.
I treated myself to an A3 (11.7" x 16.5") size LED light pad (below). It was about $55 on Amazon. It has three light settings and is basically, awesome. I should have gotten one of these a long time ago.
I also wanted to be able to stand at this table if I needed, so this is it at full height. The clamp on light is a small LED one from IKEA.
 And I finally get to use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home